Re: [Harp-L] 5th position

If you truly want to go where no man has gone before - play the music
that's in your head. Listen to the tone, flavors, rhythms, colors,
shapes that come to you naturally.  DON'T think of notes, that's a
bigger trap than thinking in positions.

There is nothing wrong with "thinking" in positions and in fact
Howard will tell you to think that way until you're comfortable
playing through changes.  Thinking "positionally" is a step beyond
thinking in notes.

When I'm playing I don't think anything, I see colors, textures,
waves of rhythms in my head.  That's what I play.  If I need do break
it down later and figure out what I played I can but what would be
the point?

The basis of all music is Rhythm.  Play the "right" notes out of
rhythm and it will sound like crap.  Play the wrong notes with rhythm
and people will think you're a genius.

The bottom line for me is listening,  I need to focus all of my time
listen rather than thinking.  Thinking involves fear and hesitation.
That will kill your sound and connection to the cosmos faster than
you can say " I truly want to play where no man has gone before."
Listen to any live improv performace, you can litterally see and hear
the difference bewteen when one is thinking, listening and feeling.
You can't feel when you think but you can when you listen. Don't
think notes, just be an empty resonate cavity that is ready to to be
filled.

Usually Larry has great advice but he's way off the mark here.