From: <robertgaustad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:34 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Thank you New York - not short but not too long

> I've been visiting relatives in New York for the past week or so and
decided to go to a couple of clubs suggested by harp-l members.  I met a
couple of very nice and gracious harp-l members while there.

> The next night was a party for a longtime blues figure in NY, Buddy Fox.
This was in Harlem at a very fun BBQ joint called Dinosaur BBQ.  The party
was hosted by Rob Paparozzi who had invited me to come there when I asked
about jams in NY recently.

> First, he didn't know me at all, never asked me if I could even play a
lick,  and he was kind enough to invite me to play at the party.  I'll admit
I was a bit nervous since I hadn't played with a band for about a year...and
the musicians at this party were some of the best blues musicians in the NY
area.

> So, right after an initial song, where Rob is wailing and impressing the
hell out of me, he invites me up to play.  I haven't even finished one beer
yet and I've got all these New Yorkers checking out the California dude (I
actually lived in NY for about 8 years, 20 years ago).  I don't have any
water and my mouth is dry.

> So we played a slow blues in C with a fantastic singer whose  name I
didn't get and after licking my lips I played a passable solo.  I was happy
that at least I didn't embarrass myself.  But I was too nervous to really
get into it, 'cause I was just trying to save my ass.

> And, of course, Rob and a bunch of other folks said I played great and it
made me feel pretty good to hear that.  I'm my own worst critic and while I
know I didn't kick ass, I hit perhaps a couple of nice licks.

> Bottom line is that I still love New York and folks from that area are
some of the best and most honest in the country.  I was honored to meet guys
like Peter Henderson and Rob Paparozzi and they made me feel like a member
of the family.  I won't forget that.  It made my trip.

> One more thing - for those of you who have never heard Rob Paparozzi and
you get to a place where he's playing, go see him.  He's not only a great
harp player but he sings very well.  Most importantly, perhaps, he has a
fantastic personality, onstage and off and it's infectious.