[Harp-L] Thank you New York - not short but not too long

I've been visiting relatives in New York for the past week or so and decided to go to a couple of clubs suggested by harp-l members.  I met a couple of very nice and gracious harp-l members while there.

First, on Wednesday, I attended a bluegrass jam at the Baggot Inn in Greenwich Village, where anybody with a semblance of an instrument seems to be welcome.  There I met Peter (Trip) Henderson who graciously pointed out the best of three simultaneous jams I could join.  He played a couple of tunes while I got comfortable and then left me to go back to his jam in the front of the club.

He didn't have to get up at all but he took the time to welcome an out of towner harp player and I very much appreciated that.  Plus, the dude can play.  Thanks very much for that Peter.

The next night was a party for a longtime blues figure in NY, Buddy Fox.  This was in Harlem at a very fun BBQ joint called Dinosaur BBQ.  The party was hosted by Rob Paparozzi who had invited me to come there when I asked about jams in NY recently.

First, he didn't know me at all, never asked me if I could even play a lick,  and he was kind enough to invite me to play at the party.  I'll admit I was a bit nervous since I hadn't played with a band for about a year...and the musicians at this party were some of the best blues musicians in the NY area.

So, right after an initial song, where Rob is wailing and impressing the hell out of me, he invites me up to play.  I haven't even finished one beer yet and I've got all these New Yorkers checking out the California dude (I actually lived in NY for about 8 years, 20 years ago).  I don't have any water and my mouth is dry.

So we played a slow blues in C with a fantastic singer whose  name I didn't get and after licking my lips I played a passable solo.  I was happy that at least I didn't embarrass myself.  But I was too nervous to really get into it, 'cause I was just trying to save my ass.

And, of course, Rob and a bunch of other folks said I played great and it made me feel pretty good to hear that.  I'm my own worst critic and while I know I didn't kick ass, I hit perhaps a couple of nice licks.

Bottom line is that I still love New York and folks from that area are some of the best and most honest in the country.  I was honored to meet guys like Peter Henderson and Rob Paparozzi and they made me feel like a member of the family.  I won't forget that.  It made my trip.

One more thing - for those of you who have never heard Rob Paparozzi and you get to a place where he's playing, go see him.  He's not only a great harp player but he sings very well.  Most importantly, perhaps, he has a fantastic personality, onstage and off and it's infectious.

Thanks, New York.

Robert Gaustad
San Rafael, CA