[Harp-L] re: M.S. Series reed plate thickness conundrum

>My understanding of the sound dynamics of the harmonica, limited as it
>might
>be, tells me that a thicker reed plate makes for a louder sounding
harp.

Probably, though I've not seen it measured.

>I also understand, correctly or incorrectly, that the reed plate's
>vibration is what produces most -if not all - of the harmonica's sound.
So >wouldn't it follow that the thicker the plate the more wind energy
it will >require to produce a sound (albeit a louder one)?

No, because, to paraphrase your post, you understand incorrectly.  The
reed-plate contributes very, very little to the sound of the harmonica.
The sound of a harmonica (or any free-reed) is created by the reed
setting a column of air in motion.  When the reed moves back and forth,
it creates a vibrating column of air which creates the sound.  The
reed-plate is essentially static and any effect it may have is near
negligible.  Except, if the column of air is larger the sound is louder.
Perhaps a thicker reed-plate allows for a wider swing of the reed thus
setting a greater volume of air in motion (this is pure speculation--I'm
probably wrong), thus a louder volume.

>What I getting at ultimately here is this:  No amount of embossing or
>gapping will change the harps with the thicker reed plates because it
is
>going to take more initial force to start the reed sounding.  Am I
right?
>It seems like you trade off a lot for that little bit of extra volume.

The difference in thickness between the reed-plates mentioned is pretty
minimal.  I'm guessing that overall airtightness and gapping are at
fault, not reed-plate thickness.  Moreover, on harmonicas I've played
with significantly thicker reed-plates (double-thick, for instance) I
have not had similar problems.

 oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()()   & Snuffy, too:)
`--'