Re: [Harp-L] Marine Band Deluxe

Chris <s5gv2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I first heard of the MD Deluxe I had hoped that it would have a
> plastic comb and I was really disappointed to find out they only have a
> semi sealed wooden comb. Surely Hohner can make a plastic comb the exact
> dimensions of a wooden one?

they could make it.  i doubt they could sell it.  for better or worse, the
cachet of the wood comb is firmly embedded in harmonica players' psyches.

>     If there are two things that I can bet on happening it is that a MB
> comb is going to swell and leak. And then there is the horrible little
> nails holding it all together(the standard MB).

using nails instead of screws on any serious harp these days amounts to
malpractice.  it's unconscionable, given the degree to which players have
accepted the notion of tweaking their harps for best performance.

>     It would be great if Hohner could make a MB with a plastic comb,
> they've got the right idea with the MB deluxe being put together with
> screws, if only they had used a plastic comb.

wouldn't that be more or less the special 20?  seems to me they've
basically built a hering vintage 1923 at twice the price.  no thanks.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?