Re: [Harp-L] Shure mics, SM57 or 58?

akc asks:
Anyone have a view on which of these is better/easier for playing through?
Does the 57 require you to play more directly into the mike.. rather than
over and around it? Is there a benefit in the differnce in sound?

Also on the subject of Shure mics.... they are available on Ebay at
ridiculously low starting bids, emanating from China and Hong Kong... the
suspicion being that these are fakes. The problem is that it undermines
confidence in buying a Shure from any source. Any thoughts/experiences on
this?
-------------

There's really no set answer to this question... depends on your intended application and what kind of sound you prefer. How will you be using the mic? i.e. do you intend to hand-hold it (cup it) and blow through an amp? Do you want to use it as both a vocal mic AND a harp mic? Will it be played "acoustically" into a PA rather than into an amp (i.e. set on a boom stand and played through/sung through from, say, 6 inches away?)

My recommendation would be to try several mics (Shures & others) at your local music shop. Speaking for myself I've tried 'em all over the years, and have found that when I need a Shure sound (i.e. clean, as opposed to a crystal or ceramic element bullet mic,) the new 545SD kicks ass compared to either the 57 or the 58. If you go to Shure's web site and have a look, the 545SD looks very much like the SM-57 (omni-directional, blunt end) except that it has an on/off switch. I think they sound better.

In my own usage, I've got the mic on a stand and am playing from about 6 inches away, singing and playing harp through the same mic -- so it's always a bit of a trade-off in that I want a mic that can cleanly handle vocals -- but not so clean as to make the harp strident. With a bit of added bottom, reduced top, and reverb added, the 545SD enables me to do this, plus they're sturdy as hell and loud.

Having said all this, I actually prefer an AKG C535EB condenser mic to any Shure, for quieter gigs, concert halls, etc... but the AKG is so damned efficient it picks up everything, from grunts and belches to the Harleys driving by outside, so I only use mine for pin-drop concert settings. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Shures, but a beaut of a mic either for vocals, acoustic guitar or acoustic harp. It lists at about $399.

The Shure 545SD, OTOH, is my regular day-to-day mic for clubs and somewhat noisy settings. And the off/on switch is handy for when you need to discuss important matters off-mic (Like certain audience members <g>.) It handles vocals beautifully, despite it's omni-directional nature... provided you don't wander WAY off center.

The three Shures list at about the same price, but can be found much cheaper if you shop around.
Shure SM58 - list 188.
Shure SM57 - list 158.
Shure 545SD - list 162.

I'm not sure I'd mess with the Asian sources -- a bit dodgy methinks, esp since these can all be had for under $100 at reliable places like Musician's Friend. (usual disclaimer: NO affiliation.)

All the above just my humble opinion -- as always, your mileage may vary.

cheers and good luck,

Tom Ball
Santa Babs

.