[Harp-L] Fills, not stepping on others

Most instructional material for the harp seems to be very solo or melody oriented, but so much of what I hear in music that doesn't have a lead harmonica player is riffs and fills. I would like to be able to play those supporting fills and riffs so I can jump in with mixed instruments. Not just blues, but country, bluegrass, rock, etc. The book "Mel Bay presents Blues Harp for Diatonic and Chromatic Harmonica" covers it, but the tape give incomplete coverage of the licks and tunes. I've got to hear it, and I'd like some coverage of the "theory" of what, why, when. What is the best way to learn this style of playing; general purpose riffs and fills for various genres, and how to decide which one is appropriate at a given time?

Peace and music,
Dave