Re: [Harp-L] Subject: diatonic vs. chromatic

I am a primarily diatonic player. I read notation and tab. I have a decent working knowledge of music theory.( These are simply tools and do not define whether or not i am a musician) I play Standards, Irish, Scottish, Folk , Old Time and Gospel. At SPAH '05 I was warmly welcomed into the lobby and hallway jams, where I would play melody or "guitar chord backup" or harmony depending on what fit. I stuck my head into the Blues and Jazz jams, but, while I enjoy listening to these genres, I do not "understand their construction" well enough to be comfortable playing them.

I totally agree with those who have said that it is the types of music that divide us, not the instrument. There will always be folks who play styles of music we may not care for or understand , but this does not mean that they are "better" or "worse" as musicians - just different.

Come on now, let's play nice together!
Barbara
"Too many people die with their music still inside - Let it out!"
Strath an De' Farm
http://www.strathande.com
Coast to Coast Music
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/goto?pg=http:// coast2coastmusic.com/index.shtml&mv_pv=AFL3356