[Harp-L] Subject: diatonic vs. chromatic

Bob Meehan writes:

"I believe that this thread is very silly! Why do the chromatic people  feel
threatened by the popularity of the diatonic harmonica?
I did not  know that this "hundred year war" existed until I attended my
first harmonica  convention. In my opinion there would not be any
conventions or harmonica  festivals if not for the diatonic harmonica.
I don't think there would be  enough people to attend and make it possible
to have these events.
I have  also noticed that the diatonic players, of which I am one, have
nothing  against the chromatic harmonica, or the people that play them.
Although the  music seems to be different, the diatonic players seem  to
enjoy the  chromatic players music immensely.
It seems to me that some of the chromatic  people really dislike the music
played by the diatonic players. Why? I don't  know.
And, by the way, we are not limited to playing blues.
All the  best,
Bob Meehan:"

......and I couldn't agree more with Bob's take on this particular
contretemps.  My first reaction to Randy's pupil's wife's "essay" was  "Sheesh, what a
Snob".  Then I remembered my feelings following my first  Buckeye this past
April and my even stronger gut reaction leaving my very first  SPAH at Kansas
City.....that there really are two SPAH's -- one for the  "Chromatics" and one
for the rest of us (even though I play chromatic, I'd  rather be counted among
"the rest").

 I thoroughly enjoyed the SPAH I attended...I met so many terrific  people
who are now friends for life.  I want to learn diatonic and make  that great
noise I heard from the best of the best;  Madcat, Howard Levy  (and all the
phenomenal players who participated in the Seminars and the  Blues Jams).  I'm
having difficulty with the diatonic and finally felt  there was hope for me to
learn to play Blues when I heard Winslow and  Michael play their chroms in the
Jams.  Did my heart good.  That  melding of instruments and styles was
eye-opening. I only regret not managing to  fit the Jazz jams into my schedule.  Next
time.

Because I walked around and sat in on a couple of spontaneous play-ins in
the lobby by chromatic players, I became very aware of that strong  undertone of
dislike from the strictly chromatic players towards those they deem  "lesser"
or "unworthy".  I actually heard the mutterings on the  elevator on quite a
few occasions,  and even at the Banquet on our last  night.

 I suppose the people who allowed me to overhear felt safe enough  since I
was carrying my Super 64 at the time, but it struck such a discordant  note
because like Bob, I am aware that the diatonic players (not  all play Blues as
he's pointed out) are unfailingly polite and respectful  towards the purely
Chromatic players and their music, even if it isn't exactly  to their taste.  I
just don't understand why the reverse isn't true.   This prejudice annoys the
heck out of me as it's sadly petty and childish  and doesn't belong at SPAH --
especially not from grown men and women  in the 21st Century.

I love the sound of a Chromatic and always will.  I plan to  continue to play
my relaxing standards and now the newer jazz tunes I favor  on my chroms.
But I SO want to learn and be involved with the  diatonic world as well and
there is absolutely no reason anyone should  snobbishly consider it a "step down"
or think that by renaming any harmonica it  would save it from obsolescence.
The chromatic harmonica is in no danger  of disappearing.  I suspect that the
lady who wrote the essay (described as  a Chromatic  player and not a
Harmonica player by her husband), is more  concerned about the style of music she
favors disappearing than she is over the  instrument itself.  I heard quite a bit
of that at SPAH too.

I'm one who will bridge the gap and play different types of harmonicas and
different styles of music.  I know many other people who do not limit  their
playing to one type or style as well.  As long as there are players  like us no
harmonica will become obsolete and perhaps we can reverse this  disquieting
(and to my mind quite ridiculous) attempt to equate "Class" with a  button.

Elizabeth