[Harp-L] What we think about

I've fallen in love with the chromatic harp. The down side, I'm like an inexperienced teenaged driver. I have to think about notes since I'm trying to learn to play in multiple keys, the use of the slide to get those notes, etc. much like the novice driver must think of moving their foot from one pedal to another, turning the wheel, etc. The need to think about that stuff makes me a poor chrom player, and the teenager a poor driver.

The experienced player, or driver, is still thinking, but about different things. When I drive I don't need to think about making the car do what I want it to do. I think about where I'm going, about the driver a bit in front of me that is thinking about his cell phone conversation, about the flashing don't walk sign that means the upcoming light is about to go yellow, etc. The experienced player is thinking about where he is going with his music, the drummer who's eye was just caught by a babe, the chord change that is coming, etc.

Everyone is thinking. Depending upon your level of skill, you just think about different things. One gives you high insurance rates and crappy music, the other gives you something else. Like the young driver, I must pay my dues, gain experience, progress to the point that I can think about the stuff that the good players think about while playing, and hope that I don't crash before I get there.

Speaking of the chrom. I just got a Super 64 and it is sooo much much more harp than my 270 that I can't believe it. Hard to believe that they are made by the same company.

Peace and music,
Dave