  From: Ron Good
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 10:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos

  Pure opinion:

  In most circumstances, I think long solos don't lead to great music, and I
  think the exceptions prove the rule. I'll give three non-harp examples
  (times are approximate):

  Yes: Before Rick Wakeman, Yes constructed tight, thematically cohesive
  songs, usually about 4-5 minutes--then the band's albums became "The
  keyboard meanderings of Rick Wakeman, backed by Yes", and the next hit was
  Owner of a Lonely Heart (back to about 4 minutes), years later.

  Hendrix: With the exception of Voodoo Child, look what happened with
  Hendrix: Are You Experienced (thematically tight 3-4 minutetunes, and radio
  hits), Axis Bold as Love (3-4 minutes, and radio hits) and then Electric
  Ladyland: guitarists loved it, and everybody else pretty much thought, cool,
  and listened to it once or twice, except for the one hit" "Watchtower"
  (what? 4 minutes or so...). His next LP was "Smash Hits"--all short songs.

  Cream: Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears (short, concise tunes, and radio hits),
  then Wheels of Fire--and the hit was "Crossroads", 4:03...and that was even
  on FM, and those days the FM folks could play what they or the audience
  wanted.

  It could be argued that radio play standards had something to do with this,
  but I really think it's because most musicians say what they have to say
  best when the solo time is somewhat limited. Really long solos tend to
  become background music.

  Ron