Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos

Pure opinion:

In most circumstances, I think long solos don't lead to great music, and I think the exceptions prove the rule. I'll give three non-harp examples (times are approximate):

Yes: Before Rick Wakeman, Yes constructed tight, thematically cohesive songs, usually about 4-5 minutes--then the band's albums became "The keyboard meanderings of Rick Wakeman, backed by Yes", and the next hit was Owner of a Lonely Heart (back to about 4 minutes), years later.

Hendrix: With the exception of Voodoo Child, look what happened with Hendrix: Are You Experienced (thematically tight 3-4 minutetunes, and radio hits), Axis Bold as Love (3-4 minutes, and radio hits) and then Electric Ladyland: guitarists loved it, and everybody else pretty much thought, cool, and listened to it once or twice, except for the one hit" "Watchtower" (what? 4 minutes or so...). His next LP was "Smash Hits"--all short songs.

Cream: Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears (short, concise tunes, and radio hits), then Wheels of Fire--and the hit was "Crossroads", 4:03...and that was even on FM, and those days the FM folks could play what they or the audience wanted.

It could be argued that radio play standards had something to do with this, but I really think it's because most musicians say what they have to say best when the solo time is somewhat limited. Really long solos tend to become background music.

Ron