From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of adams, john
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 8:07 AM
To: Smith, Richard; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Sniping on Ebay

Sniping is not cheating. If you wanted to bid higher, then do so. I don't use sniping programs, but frequently wait until the last seconds to bid. This helps me win auctions from folks like you who would bid higher if outbid, but do not initially. Part of this is the emotional response to being outbid.

I wish eBay would do what I've seen other auction sites do, extend the auction longer if it is still receiving bids. This would eliminate all this sniping junk.

John

That's not quite true. If a snipe is placed in the last nanosecond before the auction closes and another bidder's maximum proxy bid is greater than or equal to the sniper's maximum bid, the older bid will win. I've lost plenty of auctions in the last second because another person's max proxy bid (placed before mine) was higher.

It's amusing to get a "You have the highest bid" e-mail followed immediately by a "Too bad, chump, you lost" email after the close of the auction.
--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly