Re: [Harp-L] E-Bay and sniper programs

On May 8, 2005, at 12:28 AM, Jp Pagán wrote:

maybe i'm naive, but i don't get it. if you bid what
you would be willing to pay, you'll only be outbid by
people willing to pay more than you. that's how
auctions work, no?

--Jp

Yeah Jay, when I read first this I didn't understand it. My (personal) criteria would be:
1. figure out what the item is worth? (this is the hard part)
2. decide what YOU are willing to pay (bottom line)
As an aside, one might wish to go 2/3rds and no higher. Or maybe 1/2 and no higher. Naturally a person would want to get the item for as little as possible and if we could practically steal it, so much the better. I think this is the tripping block.
I think, given the descriptions, pictures, accolades, determining what condition the item is in would be the deciding factor and would be quite hard to figure out from the evidence at hand. As for me, every time I buy a pig in a poke, I wind up with swine flu.
smo-joe