[Harp-L] Music Competitions are not Evil

Although I chose to post a list of current classical competitions, I could just have easily posted
a list of prestigious jazz competitions, or rock competitions.   I chose classical because the
tradition of classical competitions goes back hundreds of years.  If young classical pianists
today are "training for competitions" that's probably a symptom of 21st century culture and
shouldn't be used to indict the whole concept of musical competitions.

The issue before us is whether SPAH should host a competition.  Some people are against it because
they fear that a sponsored competition might change the friendly atmosphere at SPAH.  If anyone
has evidence to support that position, as opposed to mere speculation, I'd like to hear it.

On the other side of the argument are those who think a competition might attract new blood and
publicity to the annual convention.   Again that's probably mere speculation, but the only way to
know for sure is to try it once and see what happens.