Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Music is not a competition?

Buckeye was my very first Festival, my first anything  harmonica-related, and
my first jam.  So getting to sit off to the side and  watch and listen with
new ears was a terrific experience by  itself.  I went to Buckeye to learn.
The Joe Filisko teach-ins are  worth their weight in gold, and the late night
jams the icing.

What a shame Steve had to miss Friday night's jam. I know about  Migraines.
George of course is paying homage to the jams "seemingly"  running themselves
but are actually being masterfully conducted by Buzz  Krantz.    I got to be
a fly on the wall Thursday night when Buzz  handled an awkward situation (an
overly eager player noodling along, playing  "accompaniment" over Steve's turn)
without crushing the guy's ego all the  while making it invisible to the rest
of the group (tough to do when sitting in  a circle).  For all the lame jokes
:-)  Buzz  managed it with a  deftness I found remarkable, also knowing just
when to give free rein  to the "dueling harps".

 I couldn't have gotten a better introduction than this.  Heck  with
competitions, just let me listen in to these jams each year with  people of this
caliber and I'll be a willing student and happy camper

Elizabeth

"Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 04:05:22 EDT
From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I have been to every Buckeye  Harmonica Festival for the past seven years. I
had never missed a late night  blues jam.. UNTIL.. this past Buckeye.. when
something I ate triggered a  migraine and I spent Friday night in my room.
Don't
you just  hate it when something like this happens?
Still, I got to play  Thursday night and Saturday night and I thought the
little interplay  Thursday night between Ben Nathanson and Dennis Gruenling
was
way  cool.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb