[Harp-L] More On Reed Problems

Easter Greetings Y'all,

Having read the back-and-forth between Tim and Frogy about various reed
adjustments I wanted to ask a couple of questions about low tuned harps.
You two guys were getting pretty technical and I know Tim is a professional
customize.  What I want to know is this:  Can you do something to the lower
four reed slots in low C,D, E and F harps to make it easier to get deep
bends?  I like these low harps but I rarely grab one at a jam because holes
1 and 2 are impossible (for me any way) to get the full step bends on.  What
can be done? I've embossed them and this helps a teensy weensy bit but it
doesn't do the job.  I've thought about shimming the sides of the reed slots
to narrow the channels so that less air would be needed but haven't figured
out how to do this and doubt it would work.  I have a Low C Marine Band (the
large kind once called the Echo Vamper) and I tried sanding the comb down
thinner and that didn't work either.  I have Low Bushmans, Low Special 20s
and that MB in Low C I mentioned and  they're all about the sam when it
comes to this issue.

Tim, do you know something that you don't want to divulge?  Is there a
secret to this?  I have no bending handicaps; I can bend the bejabbers out
of any harp but I can't make Low C,D, or E harps bend deep on the 1 and 2
draws and I don't' think ANYBODY else can either.  Am I right?  I would LOVE
to be wrong.  It would make my day to be wrong.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh