[Harp-L] Re: Deep exhale - was Jason Ricci/Pros

Iceman sez:

Yes, Jason does punctuate (hard attack with "T") most of his notes. This gives more punch to his lines and is actually hard to do at the velocity that he plays.

Pierre axed :

I was reading the Kenny Werner book yesterday (Effortless Mastery) and he mentions a trumpet player he taught and said that the guy's tone was weak because he did not take a deep enough breath before his phrase. He said that this is typical of many musicians who are fearful of what they are about to play.

Hurricane sezes :

The above posts are true and accurate , Pierre's question addresses it very well .

Deep breath - -

Think of the very meaning of it and put it inside your minds eye as in how Jason Ricci or Charlie McCoy , Howard Levy and countless other accomplished harmonica players would put this question inside themselves leading up to their collective  day of " discovery " as it actually hit(s) him/them

- - You know how it hit them ? - -

I thought you'd never ask .......

It becomes all too clear to one when you hear repeated & constant comments from many others who explain to you why your sound is so much different from the rest and especially when it comes from a harmonica player(s) who is/are seeking out how to get to where your " tone " is at .

..... Or from ......

THE ACID TEST :

->>>---> Professional musicians who really dig your musicianship because you dig deep and play what ever they throw at ya and play it with dominance , no matter what the genre of music is with a big ole you know what kind of grin on your face :)<---<<<-

Heh heh heh I live for those moments heh heh heh .

Many have read the posts of myself and others who have suggested a vocal coach ala " opera singer's " type of breath control to help solve the how and the why of it . The other side effects to garner when learning this is the startling difference in your improved tonal possibilities as you master the breath thang .

The results are the same no matter how you learn it , you learn it and dats dat from whom ever or on yer own simply put if your really serious about it !

Everyone learns a little differently than others do , my bet is that it was a " nachal thang " learning this deep breath control for Jason and many of the other heavy breathers like myself and that includes the  " seasoned wood " harmonica players we have here in this particular forum .

For those wonderin and wantin to know :

Here's a bone to pick fer yas ta gnaw on ........

Ever see an accordion player wail on his instrument ( you know what I mean , Polish Polka bands , Mexican Norteño & Tex-Mex bands , Argentine tango accordion players , european gypsies & etceteras.. heh heh my granny was from *gitana origins from southern Spain ) with all sorts of fast and intricate stuff with super tonal quality ?

They hazzzz a little helper on the deep breath control thang .... They can get a deep breath in either the the totally open bellows , or closed bellows position from the mid bellows point open with the aid of a little bladder bleeder valve for those super quick attacking full tone notes . This is super important to those graceful ruthless speed attacks . With a little concentration , any one can realize this bleeder valve technique can be learned by a harmonica musician too ....... So think about it fellows & gals :) &  - -

Not only think deeply - - - but breath & exhale deeply too .

As an after thought :

In the case of the accordion player's ability to either get a deep breath from mid bellows position , this also applies to the harmonica player too as in the case of a total ( or near total) emty lungs and fully deflated ( or near as possible ) diaphram  for the same effect on tonal attack properties one can bring to the table of " varying textures & tonal " possiblilities one can get out of themselves when mastered to the point of making it look effortless  ......

For dramatics on stage you can make it look like yer really working hard to deliver the goods , it does make for a really dramatic look heh heh .

*gitana = female gypsy in Spanish :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

aka :