Re: [Harp-L] Toots and squaky sax playing on Toots and Bill Evan's Afinity CD

Bullfrog said:

I went to hear Toots Thielemans, with Kenny Werner and Oscar Castro-Neves yesterday, in Portsmouth, N.H. At 82, he is still the master, in my humble opinion, of the jazz chromatic. Many standing ovations from the audience. He said he had been through a stroke, and only polayed one number on the guitar. It was a fantastic show, and I am so awed by him and glad that I got the chance to experience his wonderful talent.
<>

Yeah, I saw Toots with Kenny Werner a couple of years ago at the Montreal Jazz festival and it was great. I saw Kenny play in Montreal twice since then once with Remi Bolduc, Kenny was great but I was not big on Remi (Sax player), a bit to abstract and squawky for me; I also saw Kenny with his Trio on another occasion, that was superb. Really a tight trio.

By the way, why do Jazz sax players sometimes go for a squawky sound, for example the Sax Player on Toots and Bill Evan's Afinity CD. Really bugs me when sax players keep hitting that "note" (whatever it is?). Can't they think of something else?

Pierre.