Re: [Harp-L] I'm Gonna Listen to 'Em . NOW: how many degree's of seperation?

After a 4 year band hiatus, I recently started gigging again this year. The
band I'm in is the band that sets the bar for all other blues bands to meet
or beat in this part of PA., Krypton City Blues Review.

  An odd thing happened while trying to "de-evolve" my playing style in
order to fit into the band's vintage sound. The jazz sax technique of
soloing I've been hearing in my head for years was starting to come out.
Not the smooth jazz crap, but the real players.

 The nice thing about this band is that the soloists are given plenty of
time to build solos based on feel rather then sticking to a 12 or 24 bar
canned/cover solo. It creates a breeding ground for fresh ideas while
soloing over old material. Some very fine harp players have emerged from the
band.

Rather then trying to play LW solos like LW or other Muddy sidemen, I
started building my solos based on the short horn phrasings I was hearing
mentally. The end result is that I'm starting to develop solos in the LW
vein which is basically a harp player influenced by horn players. I'm not
locked into sounding like LW but I can effectively build a solo on one of
his or Muddy's tunes by not looking to him for influence. Granted, I listen
to other harp players for tongue techniques but not solos. I can't remember
anyone's harp solo to save my butt.

IF we listen to nothing but harp players for influence our ideas become
locked into a narrow mould. You can still be technically good but limited in
the types and styles of music you can "effectively" play.

Then again, if you don't like horn players you aren't going to learn
anything by listening to them. I started playing in the early 70's owning
very few harp or other recordings so I spent hours on end playing along with
the instrumental tunes on ABB Filmore East lp and learning slide guitar
solos on the vocal tracks.  and yes, guitarists do notice when you can do a
Duane Allman solo almost note for note.:)  I used the lp to build dexterity
on the harp. Later, playing along with  ABB and Pat Metheny live recordings
taught me how to improv on tunes that don't follow a standard blues pattern.

By exploring other instruments and music you prepare yourself for many
musical encounters throughout your life.   Your harp will never be a hurdle
and your opportunities to play will increase dramatically.

mike