Re: [Harp-L] I'm Gonna Listen to 'Em

And by the way, few of them sound like one another--and I'll doubt that I'll
ever sound like any of 'em, but I'll have a blast working at it. And listening, REALLY listening.

In a sense its true that "few of them sound like one another" but actually, at some level most do sound alike. When was the last time you listened to a blues harmonica CD and thought, wow! this guy really stands out as an original. Its pretty hard being original playing Blues standards.

I think the reason people rave about Little Walter is that he stood out from the rest and he still does today. But I think he developped a broad language which allowed him to come up with fresh and tasty sounding phrases.

Like you, I'm sure you won't end up sounding like anybody else, but unless you are 'special' you will sound like other harmonica players (normal). That's ok for some folks, but certain others want to sound "new" and they have to look somewhere else for inspiration or else find some new sound or some techniques to come up with something fresh.

BTW Carlos Del Junco's Up and at em' CD has a fabulously original CD. Every tune is great. I think years from now that CD will stand out as a turning point. Of course he did not select blues standards as a start. But still, when you listen to some of the jazz standards he plays, you hear some of the stuff Little Walter had (genius), at least I do. I think Carlos has found Little Walters recipe and taken it one step further.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Bush" <rcush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>