Re: [Harp-L] Power adapters are NOT created equal

----- Original Message ----- From: <dzeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:05 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Power adapters are NOT created equal

samblancato Sez : th

Excerpt(s)

" What I do is to run it off a variable adapter at 4.5 volts
rather than 9v. It gives me a realy nice little crunch that otherwise
wouldn't be there. I discovered this when I was playing once when the
battery died on me. "

An den he sez :

" Somebody on this list (I forget who) suggested the variable voltage
adapter (I got it at Radio Shack) and I tried it. "

I tried the Radio shack adapters for effects pedals on two different
occasions: once with the variable one, and once with a fixed 300ma one: on
both occasions, the adapter caused an incredible amount of noise in the
circuit so I returned them.  I had the same problem with a Danelectro
adapter.  I'm using a Boss adapter and a Morley adapter now for two of my
effects and they are quiet as can be.
Zig

Hi,
I used those and got the very same results too. Most Bos pedals use tend to use adapters that are 200ma, and anything higher introduces unwanted noise, and there are two different ones for their pedals, and most of the digital pedals, like their digital delay and reverb pedals us the PSA120. Peavey used to have a terrific reverb pedal that you had to use an adapter as it wouldn't run on batteries, and it was a 200ma, but different than the ones Boss used, and when anything else but the adapter that was used that wasn't called for, it was so noisy that it was completely useless. However, there are better quality power supplies made by Guyatone (under the name Godlyke) and some other companies that will properly power anything with the correct adapters and will automatically adjust to the MA rating required to work correctly, and I use one made by Guyatone and have never had a problem with it, and it powers my Guyatone delay and reverb pedals as well as my Nady wireless unit winout ANY problems. Those things from Radio Shack just ain't worth a damn for anything.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com