Re: [Harp-L] Do you move your mouth or your harp?

I _do_ move the harp very much more than I move my head. The way I cup the mic allows me to use each opposing hand as a sort of a counter-spring against pressure initiated by the other hand, and I can get very fast, accurate movement of the harp that way, and I don't get a sore neck, ever. A variety of quick, and slow, often indirect, scales up and down the neck are very easily accomplished this way.

And as for a repeating alternating riff like: bent 5 draw/4straight draw--straight 5 draw/straight 4 draw--bent 5 draw/4straight draw--straight 5 draw/straight 4 draw, like at the speed of Alvin Lee style tremelo picking (or double-picking as it's called in surf guitar circles), I just can't see how you _could_ move your head fast enough, long enough to get and maintain top speed for long, actually for anything longer than a few seconds.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but _I_ don't see how. And it's only my opinion, not gospel. If you _can_ hold a riff like that, _fast_ and for, say, 30 seconds, only moving your head, what does your neck and head feel like? And I'm not saying speed is what determines good playing (it's not) but it's real useful :-)

Ron