Re: [Harp-L] re: Bassman and amps in general

> A reissue won't sound like an old amp because any 2 old amps will sound
> different. Components age. This changes the sound.

I agree. All amps sound different. Put 2 original Bassman's side by side and
they'll sound completely
different. In fact, the old Bassmans were designed to run at lower wall
voltage so if you measure the
B+ on one plugged into today's current, it'll have higher voltages. I'm not
a big fan of the mojo found
in cloth wire and old caps. I think that most old amps that sound great
could be reproduced if you
measured the values of the caps and resistors and built accordingly. A 40
year old amp is going to have
drifted values. Put 2 identical 5F6A Bassman's side by side and I'll bet you
the bank that they sound
completely different. I build Meteor harp amps. I use Mallory 150 series
because they sound good to me and they're
reliable. I use carbon comp resistors because they arent as shrill to my
ears and I use cloth wire because
it's extremely easy and nice to work with. I think that if you played a
meteor you might agree that the sound
is increadible and everything is brand new with a warrantee and a tolerance
that hasent drifted from spec
just yet. As a straight up harp amp I've never played a Bassman (original or
re-issue) that sounds as good to my
ears as a meteor. Remember too that sound is subjective. As far as a Bassman
goes, I personally think that
Sonny JR has the best sounding rig going right now. I've played a LOT of his
B-man's and overall I prefer
the sound over any other repro Bassman or original that I've played.
Personally I don't think that it's the
magic caps or any one thing. I think that he put's a lot of heart into the
whole process and uses a combination
of parts that compliment each other.

This is just my .02 folks. I know that some of you are die hard "old part
mojo" people and others arent. I guess that
in all of my research this is what I've come to believe.

Scooter