[Harp-L] re: Bassman and amps in general

A reissue won't sound like an old amp because any 2 old amps will sound
different. Components age. This changes the sound. My friend has a blackface
Pro that's hissing, the reverb channel is shot, but it sounds like a million
bucks right now so he's not touching it(he's a very good amp tech but a little
superstitious). The tweed champ he's got sounded awful until he put a lot of
work into it. Sounds wonderful now.

Different mics work better on different amps. A Bullet and a champ is a
beautiful sound. An sm57 and an old Pro is a gorgeous sound, but different.

So you can spend time trying tube swaps and tweaking and changing things, or you
can take a pocket full of harps and a mic down to your music store and keep
trying all the cool old amps until you have one that's right. Trust me. You'll
know it when you hear it.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm