Re: [Harp-L] Famous Quotes, soul, & liberal guilt

Hey, Sonnytone's right on, you can't buy soul or spirit, you got to earn it by payin' dues. But go ahead and buy yer porsche if it tickles ya, it won't make you any worse - or better.

It sure don't matter what you wear or drive, it's what is (and has been) wearing and driving you, that inspires your soul, and your music. For better or worse.

*HARP CONTENT: Some can copy Lil Walter lick for lick and wear a cool hat, but it'll only move ya if it comes from a moving place. (But then yer not copying.)

I never met a street person who didn't want, in some way, to live like a king. Including me. Now I'm keepin' my sports car and my nice threads, and also my intense memories of the many years when I couldn't even imagine living within the law, let alone getting a street-legal automobile, let alone registration, insurance - and a home!

Poverty sucks. Some may extol it as a purifying ritual, I suspect that's a notion from the (often deservedly) guilt-ridden bourgeoisie. Or a religious orthodoxy used to keep the workers in their place ("Suffer now, and don't complain, just be enslaved and content, the rich will go to hell and you'll go to heaven. So shut up and dig out that rich man's septic line.")

Ain't nothin beautiful about a kid without food, shelter, comfort or medicine - except the kid. And fulfilling his or her desires doesn't erase his or her beauty.

Please pardon my pedantry!

-Dave Fertig

At 05:49 AM 1/13/2005, Garry Hodgson wrote:
SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:

> So fellas you can't put on some slick suit,
> shades, maybe a hat of some sore they wore, and call yourself feeling the
> blues while your porsche sits outside. Life's experiences are what brings out
> the best in a bluesman. Either you got it, or you don't.

that's it, then. i am *not* going to buy a porsche.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.