Re: [Harp-L] John Mayall

Mayall is certainly not a great harp player.  It's interesting in
particular to note, in his 1960s recordings, how his tone falls apart
when he gets into the upper middle register. He played harp on a rack,
and he clearly hadn't figured out how to use the whole harp while it was
locked in the rack.

But so what?  He wrote and sang great songs, he led great bands, and he
made great records. He felt the blues deeply, and was courageous enough
to write his own kind of blues, with deeply felt lyrics and structures
that were his own, using new approaches throughout his career.

I love Mayall's music.  For those who haven't heard it, I strongly
recommend "A Hard Road" as a starting point.  It is as moody, loud,
driving, and heartfelt as any blues you've ever heard, and the songs are
utterly unique and personal.

Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com