[Harp-L] Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up (Review)

I have put up a review of Pat Metheny's The Way Up with chromatic player Grégoire Maret on my weblog. Here's the first few paragraphs to whet your appetite :

"I?m not a usual customer of Pat Metheny?s stuff. I?ve heard some of his records, and I recognise him as a talented and tasteful jazz guitarist, but nothing I heard really blew me away. Additionally, I?m in a phase in my musical explorations when I?m interested in structure over improvisation. That?s not to say that I don?t enjoy listening to straight ahead jazz or blues, but endless looped improvisation over the same chord structure tends to put me to sleep these days?

Two things led me to purchase Pat Metheny?s latest CD: an interview I read in a French magazine which presented the record as a one-track 68 minute composition, and the presence on said record of harmonica player Grégoire Maret. And, if truth be told, this second motivation was incidental compared to the first.

I didn?t know quite what to expect, but I nabbed the record in the first few days after its release. I didn?t regret it..."

Read the rest at http://harmonica.typepad.com.

Ben FELTEN