Re: [Harp-L] Blues Tunes - Blind Test Results

Surprised to hear that it was a blackface patch.  The Gain setting is
certainly low enough to avoid excess distortion.  I can suggest a couple
of things to try:
1)  Add compression to the patch.  The compression acts before the
signal  goes through the amp model, so this might reduce distortion
resulting from sudden hot transients, like the attack on a very loud
note.  A compression setting around 5-6, with a fast attack, is good for
a starting point.  I use compression on most of my RP patches.
2)  Try a different mic.  The RE10 may just have too much output for the
RP400 to handle. Cheaper mics tend to have lower output; I use a very
cheap mic, the Labtec AM-22 ($8), with my RP.
3)  Try working with the EQ settings and cab models to see what reduces
the crunch.  I find that when I analyze the signal from my RP,
regardless of amp model, there's a WHOLE lotta sound coming out around
640 hZ, right in the midrange.  So boosting the mids isn't necessary.
Try one of the darker cab models, plus a little bit of boost to the
bass.  The RE10 is probably already putting out more treble than you
need, so I'd consider cutting the treble if anything.

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com