RE: [Harp-L] Harp Comander

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:15:39 -0500
From: "Smith, Richard" <rismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Harp Comander

>Please forgive me for sticking in my two cents, when I don't
>have a Harp Commander, and have never played through one.
>But I don't believe that the HC is "Tube Driven".  It uses
>FET Transistors to "emulate" a tube preamp.  Another Holmes
>product called the "Tube Commander" is an actual tube driven
>preamp.
>
>Richard J. Smith, RA
>Wormleysburg, PA

Hi Richard,
I agree it is not a tube driven preamp, and is built with jFETs, you are
correct on those points.  However it is NOT an emulator.

Specifically emulators are digital hardware with Analogue to digital
processor(s), CPU and RAM, that run software programmed with virtual tubes,
virtual amp circuits etc.   Designed to digitally process sound to emulate
analogue and solid state amps, effects, and cabs.

The Harp Commander is analogue solid state equipment.  It IS an analogue
Class A preamp, it doesn't emulate anything.

Cheers,
-- G.