RE: [Harp-L] Let's talk about head "shakes" or something else

Dear Harp-L,

"My name is Dan. I play the harmonica."

group: "Hi Dan"

Dan: " I've been quiet on Harp-L for 4 months"

(clapping)

I make it a point not to post on Harp-L......(snip)

I started out on Harp-L about four years ago, was it? I needed to ask how to fix the volume control of my bullet. It was a silly question but I got the answer I needed straight away (thanks, IronMan!). This experience has been repeated countless times. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned about how to tune, gap and clean my harps, about fine-tuning, alternative tunings, mics, amps, how to stand up and play in front of people, what was wrong with my tone, how to control my bends, how and where to find further resources for learning........I've bantered on-list, and especially off-list, with some of the best harp-players on the planet. If you need to know something about harmonicas there's someone here who'll tell you. The knack is to ask the right question. Of course, you'll pick up stuff at random if you just lurk, but I've been too impatient for that. At 53 my brain's too slow and Guinness-addled for me to be able to afford to sit around waiting for someone to pour knowledge over me. Also, you'll get people helping you offlist, if anything in a more directed way than with the on-list responses. This is the unseen Harp-L, and it's gone a long way towards being the making of me. I've had five very useful offlist messages in the last three days, and I haven't even been especially upfront around here for a few weeks. I've even made a CD. Ignore the fights. I didn't used to (idiot that I was) but I do now. Delete is a beautiful word! That's my two-and-fourpence anyway.

Steve