Re: [Harp-L] Hello and Introduction

On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:35 AM, fjm wrote:

the ghost of Smokey Joe writes

Most on THIS list will recommend a diatonic. Another list might recommend a chromatic.

I'd just like to point out that harp-l is the only list devoted to ALL things harmonica especially and including chromatic harmonica. One of the things I really miss about the good old days of harp-l is the chromatic contingent. I realise Slidemeister (the other list referred to) was formed for a reason, chromatic players were being run over on harp-l as they tried to have discussions but I like to think that wouldn't be true on today's list. Harp-l was also a little more political in the past than it is now. I for one really miss the chromatic players and their discussions. I do lurk Slidemeister but it's not the same as everyone in the same room and some very key players are missing in that discussion anyhow. While amp and gear talk can dominate the discusssions here from time to time it doesn't have to. Content is determined by you the listers not me the listowner. As long as the very loose list guidelines are adhered to you won't and don't hear from me regarding topics. fjm harp-l-listowner
_

Trust me, I was casting NO aspersions (as I play both), but since the first initial replies came from diatonic players, I merely stated the obvious. If one were to take a poll, they might not be surprised to find that harp-l is predominately diatonic players. Don't know what the ratio is, but I think it is substantial. Doesn't bother me in the least. To take it one step farther, I would narrow the diatonic players down to being more "blues" oriented than not. To take it even farther, I would say that "chicago style" dominates. I play through the pa, use no 'hashers, mufflers, croakers' on the sound. I have nothing against those who do. As I have always said "I may not agree with what you play, but will defend to my death your right to play it". Sort of a Nathan-smokey-Hale approach.

As a general rule, I will pretty much stay out of diatonic discussions because I don't have the foundation. I should also add that I (my opinion) feel that what diatonic players we DO have on this list are (average wise) MORE advanced than the average chromatic player we have on another list.
Just look around, diatonic players are ADVANCING while chromatic players are REGRESSING. We're talking on the average here. Most chromatic players are older guys who just do it for the 'grins'.
What I DO notice on harp-l is that when you take away the microphones, amps, effects, names of players, there is really very little left. I still find it interesting and occasionally some 'pearl' will surface.
As for political overtones in the past. We have (at times) had some members who have/had NO sense of humor, wore a railroad tie on their shoulder for a chip, and were constantly looking for racial overtones OR alterior motives, OR hidden meanings in everything that was posted. Thank GOD, this is over with.

All in all, I think it's a great list and can see why it has been around so long. The greatest people banded together for the greatest reason..harp. I am much more active on slidemeister because I am more comfortable at chromatic, their idiosynchrosies, and the types of music that they are geared to. I believe my post yesterday would have made that quite obvious.

smo-joe