RE: [Harp-L] a question for all you toungue blockers out there...

Hi -

You should never feel bad about doing what it takes to
learn these techniques, especially if you didn't start
off tongue-blocking, as I believe most players in the
past several decades have not. And keep in mind, when
coming from the pucker technique, it is completely
normal to be frustrated when trying to learn
everything tongue-blocked (TB).

I almost gave up on TB when I was trying to get it
down, after realizing that I kept going back to
puckering on the gigs, since I couldn't bend as far as
I wanted/needed to, and did not have the overall
precision I wanted.

Having said that, I now tongue-block pretty much
everything I play. The occassional blow bends (10 in
particular) I will pucker, but there are guys out
there that TB those as well (Filisko & Guyger come to
mind). I also TB my overblows and overdraws, though I
don't use overdraws much.

It's been my experience as a teacher (and player) that
anyone can overcome the TB-bending obstacle with the
correct practice. I have gotten beginning and
intermediate students tongue-blocking bent notes
within one lesson, and have witnessed other advanced
teachers do this as well.

Give yourself time to get comfortable with it, it will
come easier. I recommend sticking it out when you
practice, but pucker as much as you want when you jam
or perform until you can TB comfortably....the many
benefits of TB are worth the extra practice.

All the best
-Dennis Gruenling
www.dennisgruenling.com