[Harp-L] Ben Bouman's Custom Vintage 1923 Harps

This is a quick and dirty review. I just this morning received the three
harps I had ordered from Ben Bouman in Netherlands. Apart from a short
unexpected delay, which Ben compensated by sending the harps in priority
mail, the ordering process was easy and friendly.
I had never before played Hering Vintage 1923 harps, so this is as much a
review of the model as it is of Ben's custom job. I like the hefty weight of
these diatonics, the same way I like the weight of pre-MS meisterklasses.
It's a purely subjective thing, of course, but it's pleasant to feel that
the instrument in your hand is sturdy.

I like the look of the Herings, the old style copper tinged covers, the
varnished wood, etc.

Of course, I don't know the difference between a standard model and Ben's
custom job for sure, but my experience with custom harps lead me to think
that his work weighs a lot in my appreciation of how they play. All the
bends are smooth and easy although not too easy (I've tried the occasional
custom harp that didn't have the 'resistance' I enjoy in my bends, and
although they play like butter, I don't necessarily enjoy playing them as
much), and more importantly for me, all the 4-6 overblows are easy and
clean.

Ben had asked me what kind of set up I wanted prior to working on these
harps, and now I know that he knows what set up I like since this is exactly
what I wanted. The keys he sent were Bb, C and D. The sound is very bright,
perhaps a little too bright for my tastes in acoustic playing, but I suspect
they'll pack a mean punch amplified.

So, altogether a great job by Ben there. Between him and Tim Moyer, I think
my custom harp needs are met for the foreseeable future, and I'm glad to see
that with Tony Ramos and Ben Bouman, there's a new breed of customisers
emerging in the wake of Pat Missin's desertio... errr, departure.

;-)

Ben FELTEN