Re: [Harp-L] harp amp

Jon Vaughan wrote:
The best description I could give of the '65 DR is that it sounds like a
blonde Skylark with very big balls on the bottom end. Finally a Skylark
"sound" that doesn't need miked on gigs.

This raises an interesting question for me.

How practical is it to mic small amps like this for gigging?  I have a
skylark that sounds great, but I know it wouldnt be loud enough with a
full band withing micing to the PA.

Why do people prefer using big amps on stage that don't need micing?

Jon

I don't know that they do. It's more convenient not to have to carry the mic and the stand around with you and have control over your own sound. OTOH, some people really prefer the sound they get from a low power single ended amp. If you control the pa you can get exactly the sound you want. Also, there's a certain point--like outdoors, or a large auditorium--where even the guitar amps usually get miced.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly