Re: [Harp-L] harp amp

I started out looking for a GA-90 and ended up with a 1962 Invader GA-30RVT; 25Watts, 1 12" and 1 10" Jensen, reverb and tremolo.
I couldn't be happier. The amp is very feedback resitant with enough power to hold my own playing with loud guitarists. The reverb is the best onboard reverb unit I've ever heard. The speaker configuration gives the best of both worlds: the punch of a 10" with the bottom and roundness of a 12". It breaks up perfectly, turn the volume past 5 and it gets fat and growly. The tone is so rich, warm and velvety it makes my tweed Fender Pro Jr. with the blue alnico speaker sound thin and reedy. The amp is so responsive to my attack that I feel like a whole new dimesion has been opened up to me.
It's holy grail as far as I'm concerned. I'd put it up with any tweed or blackface Fender and it only cost $450.
The moral of the story is: go on your quest for a GA-90. Good luck and I hope you find one. Check the guitar shows, the vintage shops, Vintage Guitar magazine, etc. But, you would be best advised to test any vintage Gibson amp that you happen to stumble across. It may just be a holy grail. They're a whole lot cheaper and sound just as good as any boutique or vintage Fender amp.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Russ

Toungblock@xxxxxxx wrote:

hi harpers,i'm looking for a gibson ga 90. very cool amp for harp has 6 6'' 25 WATTS don't know the year. i understand jacobs played through one at one point of his carrier.