Re: [Harp-L] Looking for a good overblow harp

Any harmonica can be good at overbends once you have set them and also (and more important) once you master overbends.

I have friends who told me that they get very bad overbends with their Lee Oskar. Then, I told them to work themselves (though I am technician, I advise people to work their playing rather than working on their harmonicas, well, exepted for gapping).
My friends told me that it was scientifically proved that LO could not make proper overbends unless you customize them.

So, I just set the gapping and tried to get nice overbends with LO harmonicas. It took me time to manage, but now, I can get nice overbends (without that kind of horrible sound, you know what I mean) with a LO.
It is just a matter of practice.

It is the same for the Weltmeister Thunderbird Harmonicas that I play. Most of people get a very bad overbend with them.
But with  work and practice, you can manage to get very nice and smooth sound.
Allen Holmes himself told me, after listening to a sample that my overbends were very smooth, meanwhile, he did not know it but I was using Weltmeister Thunderbirds.

the most important for you is to find a harmonica which has a long life. Then, you must learn about setting to be comfortable on your harmonicas. Then, you're in the business. If you're not comfortable on your harps, don't play them.

Froggy

Eric Lubeck <blork@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey list.
I've recently took up overblow/drawing and am looking for a harp
that will make this learning process much easier. I'm only a new player
to the harp(1 year) but i've decided that I want to know how to overblow
from the begining, so that this effect eventually will hopefully become
as second nature at a note bend. I know this is a strange approach to
learning harp, but i've already learned to overblow and this method
makes sense to me with alot of the new work happening in harp music.
Well anyway as I said i'm looking for a great overblow harp. I've
owned Lee oskars(horrible for OB), Vintage 1923(great instrument but
hard to tame overblows on), and a special 20, my current overblow harp
of choice.
I'm willing to put some good money into either a customized
harp(below 100 dollars) or into another kind of stock harp. I've
learned to gap reeds a bit, but I just don't have the skills to yet
adjust harps on my own so i'll have to keep on learning.
As an additional note I've read rumours on this board of a new OB
friendly marine band hitting the market, if this is the case does anyone
know when? If the eta is definite is could be quite awhile...
Thanks

Nicolas Fouquet
Frog's Workshop
'Makes ya feel great!

Weltmeister Harmonicas
15 bis Rue tour du Château
34480 Puimisson France

tél.: (0) 4 67 36 06 14
fax: (0) 4 67 36 06 16

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis.Téléchargez GRATUITEMENT ici !