Re: [Harp-L] No Excuse Jazz Howard Levy

> please learn some basic theory on a piano, button chromatic or a horn.
> doesn't mean that you need to invest enough time to play in public (I
surely
> won't play piano in public)
> these instruments have only 1 layout and help to simplify thinking about
> what you are doing.
> if you start to look at what different scales in different keys have in
> common and learn the number system (NO, NOT TAB!) you can transfer
knowledge
> back to 10 hole & be much better for it.
>
> Michael Peloquin

Michael,
   I totally agree with you on this and can't stress enough the importance
of "making an investment of time" on other instruments ie: Guitar, Piano,
Sax etc. If your a Diatonic Player ...Piano is BEST and then add the
Chromatic. I think these axes will give you the best conceptual "layout" of
the theory that you'll be bringing in to your Diatonic practice schedule.

    I started at age 14 a short stint on Drums and then right over to
Diatonic. I then taught myself guitar and it really helped move me along
faster on Diatonic. So after 8 yrs of Guitar and Diatonic...(then at age 22
decided to add Chromatic and Piano simultaneously....again self teaching
myself piano while starting Chromatic with
Cham-Ber Huang and Robert Bonfiglio. I then decided to study guitar with two
great Jazz Players (Harry Leahey and Eddie Hazel). Throughout all of this
playing I was learning how to be a "Pop" & "Blues" Vocalist and front and
lead bands. By age 30 my piano chops got good enuff and by the late 70's
started playing Fender Rhoades out on society gigs. Other bands were hiring
me as a singing guitar player that could double on Harmonica.

      It took me awhile to realize that it was being a 'front' man and harp
player was what I REALLY loved and did best (and studio work)....the point
being, all those others things REALLY helped me advance on the Harmonica and
made a better musician......I still have a long way to go and many things to
learn, but I NEVER feel that playing my guitar, piano or singing TAKES AWAY
from my Harmonica it's quite the opposite,-)))

Now at age 52, I sure wish I had some xtra time....the next axe would be
SAX, what a cool instrument!...we'll see....................

Happy Switch Hitting,
Rob Paparozzi