Re: [Harp-L] No Excuse Jazz Howard Levy

Larry posts:
When you said "in this order - diatonic, chrom , sax...", do you mean that you started playing jazz repertoire first on diatonic and then learned it on chrom/sax?

My point being that "the tunes" are rarely learned first on diatonic by the better "Players" - Chris M, Carlos, and a few others being the exceptions.

(I don't, by any means, know ALL the "Players" out there - this concept is IMO and based on my limited real world interaction with a lot of the best).

Larry, you got me:
I originally I learned most melodies on chrom 1st.
good points all--let me add that if anyone is attempting expanding their 10 hole harp playing, be it XB, OB or altered tunings--Even if you only add 6OB to your blues playing:
please learn some basic theory on a piano, button chromatic or a horn. doesn't mean that you need to invest enough time to play in public (I surely won't play piano in public)
these instruments have only 1 layout and help to simplify thinking about what you are doing.
if you start to look at what different scales in different keys have in common and learn the number system (NO, NOT TAB!) you can transfer knowledge back to 10 hole & be much better for it.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.globerecords.com/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?specific=itemno&phrase=GLO-025