Re: [Harp-L] Potato Potahtoe - long

George said:

There are limitations, as there are to all instruments, but many things that
Richard is viewing as limitations are merely issues that can and will
be overcome.

<snip>
Not nearly enough hard and sustained work, not nearly enough
attention to intonation and articulation, not nearly enough people working seriously for enough years to overcome the technical issues involved in playing chromatically on the short harp.

Seems to me that if someone wants to play no-excuses jazz, he would be best to follow Richard's advice unless he is willing to dedicate every waking moment of his life to his instrument. In fact every waking moment may not even be enough for some.

First there is the argument that only Howard can do it. You have to remember Howard was probably doing great jazz on the piano way before he could do it on the harp. This gave him a head start. The story I heard is that Howard spent 7 years in the woodshed to figure out how to play the harp chromatically. During this time he could play jazz on the piano and advance his art.

Also in favor of Richard's argument you have to consider how many excellent jazz players there are in their late teens and early 20s playing jazz in colleges and universities.

I saw a McGill university jazz band play in a bar one night last year and I was blown over, these guys were phenomenal, so young and such good improvisers. One thing in their favour is that they can concentrate 90% of their time on playing rather than intonation and other skills. During the evening a chromatic harp player joined the band for one tune, I was blown over, I thought only Toots could make a melody sound like that. I had always assumed Toots musicality was due to him having played more than 25 years.

(BTW I don't mean that these jazz students are all out jazz players, or that this guy was as good as Toots, still...)

How long does it take to learn to play just the major scale in 12 keys on a sax or a clarinet? how long on a diatonic? How long to just play Jingle Bells in all 12 keys and have all the notes sound like notes rather than colours and in tune? How long before you can play those scales at a modest 120 beats without any waver? How long to just to play in tune? how long to bend OBs/ODs and get vibrato on them?

Getting back to what Richard said:

Richard is viewing as limitations are merely issues that can and will be overcome.

I don't understand how you can say that. There's no magic here each diatonic harp no excuse jazz player wannabee has to figure it all out by himself. Seems to me the issues are very real. If you want the expressiveness of the diatonic or to break new ground, the diatonic is the way to go. Otherwise to me the choice is simple.

Pierre.