[Harp-L] Potato Potahtoe

I expressed the opinion a couple of days back that the only person who can play no-excuses jazz on the "diatonic" harmonica in a musical and convincing way is Howard Levy. My post assumed a very high standard for no-excuses jazz, which I wrote is the ability to play tunes called by others (not "cherrypicked") at any tempo in any key. There are many saxophonists in the world who meet this high standard, as there are trumpeters, piano players, and guitarists. There is, so far as I know, only one diatonic harmonica player, Howard. So I am largely in agreement with Richard. But he goes too far:

>I see post after post in this forum from players
>who are struggling madly to make overblowing
>work for them on every kind of material, and
>coming not quite close enough as often as not.
>Enough already. If you want to play chromatic
>material, get a chromatic harp and learn to use it.

I disagree completely. Instead of "Enough already" I say "Not nearly enough." Not nearly enough hard and sustained work, not nearly enough attention to intonation and articulation, not nearly enough people working seriously for enough years to overcome the technical issues involved in playing chromatically on the short harp. There are limitations, as there are to all instruments, but many things that Richard is viewing as limitations are merely issues that can and will be overcome.

>The CX-12 chromatic, which can certainly make a
>very loud, aggressive sound on demand, makes the
>difference in tone between diatonic and chromatic
>almost a non-issue.

No, I disagree. You can get a great sound out of both instruments, but they are *very* different sounds.

I believe it is entirely legitimate for Richard to say that, in his opinion, chromatic music played on the diatonic harmonica is deficient in this or that way or just plain sounds bad to his ear. I think it is wrong of him, however, to declare that the effort to develop the technique to do this musically ought to be abandoned ("Enough already. If you want to play chromatic material, get a chromatic harp and learn to use it.").

"Enough already?" No, not enough. Not nearly enough. More, please, only better.

George