RE: [Harp-L] Re: Digest Number 1445 Steve Shaw"s Irish music

      I listened to clips from "Blowing throuth the woods ".
Interesting rendition with Irish harmonica sound but  all unfamiliar
pieces to me.    I am curious what harmonica he played.  Since  he got a
new XB-40,  I woud be intersted in a new CD with only well known Irish
tunes, Danny Boy, Irishwasherwoman, Last rose of summer, I'll take you
home Kathryn, Annie Laury, My bonnie, Loch Lomond, Auld lang Syne, Sally
Garden  etc., with XB-40.  I think you can set a standard in Irish music
and many music lovers and learners like me would hardly await for the CD.

Hi Ken

On the first track I was using a double-sided Echo tremolo in D/A, using both sides of it in the "B" music. On all the other tracks I was using either a Lee Oskar in G or a Special 20 in low D. All my harps are in the Paddy Richter tuning, though this wasn't strictly necessary for many of the tracks: out-of-the-box harps would have been OK.

Some of your tune suggestions are Scottish in origin, Ken, though that's never been an obstacle! Some of those slower pieces are actually a darned sight harder to play convincingly than the faster dance-tunes, but in the pub sessions we get asked to play them quite a lot and we always try to oblige! That is a very interesting suggestion. Most of those well-known melodies are well-known because they are first-rate, and a collection on harmonica would certainly provide a new angle on them.

Apropos the XB40, my first one arrived the other day, and I promptly got hauled out on a shopping expedition so had no chance to try it. Since then I've had a stinking cold, so it's still in its box (I only play washable harps when I have a cold!). I await with utmost anticipation the advice of harp-Lers on how to Paddy Richter the beast...

Cheers

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm