To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: OB's

Michael Peloquin wrote:
How many of those great players that eschew OBs do so
out of laziness, unwarranted fear, traditional integrity
or some other weird reason? I can't understand why a great
player would not want to utilize all of the notes that are
available on their instrument.

I can speak only for myself in this regard, and I'm no "great player". I was "comfortable" with my own playing, as I had been for years. I was sure I was a pretty good player, and didn't see any reason to change. It was only when I saw people doing things I wanted to be able to do -- finding those notes I had been missing all those years -- that I got inspired to really do it. Interestingly, Howard Levy wasn't an inspiration to me, because I don't want to play that kind of music. I have to say it was really George Brooks who first opened my eyes. And I'd guess that George was a little out of his preferred element at the SPAH blues jam in Columbus in 2002.

When I started aspiring to integrate overblows into my playing there
were lots of challenges.  In the end, it changed everything, which
isn't where I thought I was going when I started.  I even ended up
building myself entire new sets of harps, or modifying existing sets
as I developed technique.  It became hard to play my old harps
because they wouldn't do the things I came to expect.  At one point,
I ended up with only two harps I could play, and about 200 that I
couldn't (or didn't want to).  It pushed the envelope of my harp
building too.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps