Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: OB's

Michael Peloquin wrote:
> How many of those great players that eschew OBs do so
> out of laziness, unwarranted fear, traditional integrity
> or some other weird reason? I can't understand why a great
> player would not want to utilize all of the notes that are
> available on their instrument.

I can speak only for myself in this regard, and I'm no "great
player".  I was "comfortable" with my own playing, as I had been for
years.  I was sure I was a pretty good player, and didn't see any
reason to change.  It was only when I saw people doing things I
wanted to be able to do -- finding those notes I had been missing
all those years -- that I got inspired to really do it.
Interestingly, Howard Levy wasn't an inspiration to me, because I
don't want to play that kind of music.  I have to say it was really
George Brooks who first opened my eyes.  And I'd guess that George
was a little out of his preferred element at the SPAH blues jam in
Columbus in 2002.

When I started aspiring to integrate overblows into my playing there
were lots of challenges.  In the end, it changed everything, which
isn't where I thought I was going when I started.  I even ended up
building myself entire new sets of harps, or modifying existing sets
as I developed technique.  It became hard to play my old harps
because they wouldn't do the things I came to expect.  At one point,
I ended up with only two harps I could play, and about 200 that I
couldn't (or didn't want to).  It pushed the envelope of my harp
building too.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps