Re: [Harp-L] Sluggish 3 blow

On Nov 11, 2004, at 6:55 AM, Leon & Gail Albin wrote:

Dear New Friends,
I warned you that I would be having lots of questions now that I am a
member of SPAH. I introduced myself a few days ago as 'really old
newcomer'. I am into my 6th year of learning to play harmonica. I play a
chromatic and the 3 blow has always been sluggish until it is warmed up. I
actually heat a bottle of water and put it into a thermos and then put my
harmonica in a plastic bag and into the thermos and wait for 20 or 30
minutes and it plays great until it cools off again. If I have to take a
break and go do something, I make a point to put the harmonica close to my
body for warmth. I think what I do goes above and beyond warming up before
playing. Thanks in advance for any tips that you send my way. Thanks for
previous help.....GA
_

Your reed is improperly set. There is obviously a small curvature to it and when you warm it up, the metal is expanding just enough to cause the curvature to accentuate and thus closes up the tolerance (or offset) just barely enough to cut the air at the tip of the reed/end of the slot juncture. Since you claim to be new to all this, I would suggest you have an experienced player have a look at it.

smokey-joe