Re: [Harp-L] Re: Book(s) on Chromatic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Hunter" <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 1:15 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Book(s) on Chromatic

> --- smoky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I'm looking for books on chromatic that would
> > help me with more than "these are the holes,
> > these are the notes they play and here goes a
> > few scales".
>
> My book "Jazz Harp," which has just been reprinted by Amsco Music
Publications, contains exercises and transcriptions for diatonic and
chromatic harmonicas of jazz and rock solos by players like Miles Davis,
Stevie Wonder, Toots Thielemans, Mike Turk, King Curtis, Tom Scott, and
Charlie Christian.  It's intended for intermediate to advanced players.  Not
all of the solos were orignally played on harmonica, but they all work very
well on harmonica.  The book now comes with a CD.

> The book has been in print almost continually since 1980, and some of the
top studio players in New York, LA, and Nashville have told me that they
found it useful when they were learning to play chromatic.  You might too,
especially if you're more interested in the jazzy side of chromatic.

> Beyond that, you might want to take a class or two in theory and music
history from your local music school or community college.   Once you've got
all those new skills, you may want some ideas about where to apply them
next.

> Good luck and Regards,
> Richard Hunter
> http://www.hunterharp.com

Hi,
I highly recommend this book!! I bought it when it first came out and
learned a lot from it, and it was a GROUND BREAKING publication, to be
polite about it!!! Thanks Richard!!! BTW, on the internet, there's a freebie
site that's excellent and will walk you through the entire learning process
of music theory and it won't make you feel totally intimidated, as most harp
players seem to feel whenever learning music theory is mentioned and then
the fear of having to learn this button gets pushed, and the site is
http://www.musictheory.net. Once you get thru this site at your own pace,
it'll make you wonder why were were you so afraid of it in the first place.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com