Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Chandler" <chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bob Maglinte" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

> Bob Maglinte wrote:
>
> > SNIP
> >
> > Let's say we have, as an example, three different musicians playing a 12
bar blues. One is a country player, one is a rocker, and one is the
traditional blues player.

> etc.
>

> It's a regional thing too.  I recently ran into a drummer friend who's
> spent the last 10 years in NYC.  We were talking about the difference in
> feel compared with New Orleans.  He said that he started having to do a
> lot fewer re-takes for NYC producers after he realized that they want
> everything to be ON the click as opposed to the rather laissez-faire
> sense of time that characterizes a lot of the music down here.

Howard,
You are absolutely coreect in this. BTW, playing on the click, which is the
click track, for those who aren't aware of it, it's actually a metronome,
and ALL metronomes click dead straight on top of the beat, and I have yet to
see one that you could possibly program either ahead OR behind the beat. In
New Orleans, they DEFINITELY play much more behind the beat than in NYC or
Boston for that matter.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA