Re: [Harp-L] custom harps

----- Original Message -----
From: "Smith, Richard" <rismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 10:11 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] custom harps

> One thing I don't understand is the open 'vents' in the sides of the
covers on Marine Band harps.
> There's so much talk about the 'airtightness' of harps, and using
Micropore to seal them, but it seems like the cover vents would pretty much
defeat the purpose, wouldn't they?  I know the Micropore goes between the
plate and the comb; I've tried it on a couple of my own Special 20's.  Or
since the vents are on the other side of the reeds from one's mouth, does it
only affect the 'sound', or projection, of the harp?

> Richard J. Smith, R.A.

Hi,
The original design intent in regards to the side vents of the Marine Band
when it was first introduced was to make the sound brighter and louder, and
it also makes the instrument more sensitive to how you hold the instrument,
meaning how you use your hands will have an effect on the sound and the
tone. The vents allow the sound to go over a wider angle, as opposed to
straight ahead, and it's part of the reason for the Marine Band's classic
sound. Covering those vent holes will alter its sound and tone.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com