The McCready Brothers - acoustic blues

I've been eager to tell all of you about the McCready Brothers, but figured
there wasn't much point until they had a CD available - well, that time has
finally come, with the release of  "Young Street Blues Project" on Red Crane
Records.

The McCready Brothers are a duo playing acoustic blues, with A.T. on guitar
and vocals, Jim on diatonic harmonica (Lee Oskar's, to be specific).  They
have lived all their lives in central Nova Scotia, but don't let the
geography fool you; this is the real deal if there ever was a real deal.
While they play songs from a range of styles - Piedmont, Delta, Chicago,
swing, jazz - they make each style and song their own in a natural and
authoritative way.  The resulting sound is guaranteed to warm the hearts of
the most jaded blues aficionado and the casual listener alike.

A.T. plays various guitar styles - finger-picking, flat-picking,
bottle-neck, Piedmont, Delta, etc. - occasionally using a steel resonator
guitar he made himself.  There are no pyrotechnics in his clean and solid
playing; terms such as "understated", "restrained" and "tasteful" come to
mind.  His vocal delivery is reminiscent of Mississippi John Hurt in its
warmth and ease.  At the same time, the full range of emotional expression
is there; if his rendition of "St. James Infirmary" doesn't tear your heart
out, you ain't got a heart.

As for Jim - this man can play the harp!  It is clear that he has studied
the masters, from Sonny Terry to Charlie Musselwhite, and internalized what
he's learned such that he is able to weave disparate influences together
seamlessly.  His playing is clean and confident, his style lively,
expressive, and imaginative.  He hardly stops for a breath on the whole CD,
but his playing is always to a purpose, always enhancing the song as he
alternates solo and accompaniment.  A highlight for harp-players will be Jim
's extended jazzy improvisation to a swing setting (prosaically entitled
"Jim's Tune"), a lesson on how to use the harp from one end to the other,
and on how to construct a solo.

I've been avoiding use of the word "perform" in relation to the McCreadys:
these guys have been woodshedding for about forty years; they're in their
fifties, and until very recently have performed only in the odd coffee house
(remember them?) and at house parties.  The people (or person) of Red Crane
Records are to be commended for pushing or pulling the McCreadys into the
recording studio.

A few samples from the CD are on the McCready Brothers' website:    <<
http://www.geocities.com/mccreadybrothers/   >>  To my mind, those samples
are not the highlights, but will give you an idea of their sound.  You will
also find information there about buying copies.  (Note:  the website was
made by a young friend or relative, and some of its content is a little, um,
"youthful").

Since the set list isn't given on the site, I'll provide it here:  1) Going
to Chicago; 2) My Babe; 3) Stormy Weather; 4) Trouble in Mind; 5) You Got to
Move; 6) St. James Infirmary; 7) Jim's Tune; 8) Monday Morning Blues; 9)
Haunted House; 10) France Blues; 11) Thrill is Gone; 12) Little Red Rooster;
13) Fixin' to Die; 14) Lazy Bones.

I realize this posting has been lengthy, but I feel this CD and these
musicians deserve whatever recognition they get, and, having met them, I am
certain they are far too humble (and proud) for self-promotion.  The usual
proviso applies:  I have no financial interest in this; I just think good
music should be heard.

- - thurg