Maybe August

I've been meaning to post to the list about this band's fantastic new CD =
for some time now, and a mild attack of insomnia has finally afforded me =
the opportunity.

Last winter, Rosco informed me that his band, maybe august, was =
performing in my neck of the woods, so I gathered up a couple of guys =
from one of my bands and we headed out to see them on a very cold, snowy =
night. Because of the horrible weather, they played to a smaller than =
usual crowd. While some bands would have just gone through the motions =
under these circumstances, these guys put their hearts into it and put =
on an awesome, high-energy show. My mates and I were very impressed and =
all vowed to buy their new CD as soon as it came out. So, a couple of =
months ago, I ordered three CD's from the order info on their website.=20

All three of us absolutely love the CD, entitled "A Fine How Do You Do". =
In fact, my keyboard player, Matt, has been listening to it almost =
non-stop ever since. He even has all the lyrics memorized. The CD is a =
very interesting mix of progressive rock, funk and fusion. The harp =
ranges from jazzy vocal counterpoint, to high speed blasts with seamless =
overblows, and Rosco does some amazing unison runs with the guitar =
player that are reminiscent of 70's jazz fusion or perhaps early King =
Crimson.=20

The thing that impresses me most about this CD, however, is not the =
musical virtuosity displayed by all the members, or the smooth-as-silk =
four and five part vocal harmonies, but rather the songs. This CD =
contains an amazing number of extremely well written tunes that will =
have you singing around the house for days. Rosco contributes three of =
his compositions to the album including my favorite tune, "Jessica". =
This is a hilarious look at a missed opportunity to find love - set to a =
very catchy tune. The Robertson brothers supply the rest of the tunes, =
and there isn't a clinker among them - I love them all.=20

If this CD ever fell into the right hands, these guys could be the next =
big thing. This is fresh, compelling, catchy music performed by masters =
and I think it has a ton of commercial appeal. If you want to hear the =
harp in a really unique context or just want to hear some great music, =
do yourself a favor and order this CD.

Alec Drachman
http://www.bluecats.org
    maybe august=20